Common Daisy (Bellis perennis)

 Common Daisy (Bellis perennis) by Peter Orchard

The ubiquitous, yet humble, common daisy is one of the first flowers we can name when, as youngsters, we are taught to make daisy chains! When a bit older we pull the petals off one by one saying "(S)he loves me, (s)he loves me not".

Love them or hate them if you have a lawn you almost certainly have the daisy growing there. Surely everyone has daisies on their lawn apart from one of my neighbours whose lawn is like astro-turf, perhaps it is astro-turf?. Cutting the grass gets rid of them for an hour or two but it is not long before those familiar white and yellow flowers reappear. I like them and have no problem with them but then I am, perhaps, odd that way?

The common daisy flowers from March to October on short grazed (or mown) turf everywhere and they are so familiar we take them for granted but when looked at close up they are attractive little flowers.

Comments