Bulbous Honey Fungus (Armillaria gallica)


When I first saw this fungus on dead tree stumps I was staggered at just how much of it there was, troops of 50 or more. It also took me an age to find out what it was as it looks nothing like the illustration in my book; it took an expert on the Open University I-Spot website four minutes to identify where I had puzzled over it for four months! I first thought it might be roll rim but soon discounted that, and then wood blewits but I new that was unlikely to be right as well. What would I do without I-Spot?

It is described as weakly parasitic so it is nowhere near as virulent as its cousin, Armillaria mellea. It is frequently found in parks and gardens and is quite widespread but occasional. However, where it occurs it can be abundant and it certainly is in Kingston Lacey gardens.

Whilst edible it is described as sour and unpleasant and that is enough for me to leave them well alone.  

Comments