If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

04 July, 2012

Deceiver (Laccaria laccata)

The Deceiver is probably the most common British fungus but it is very variable, or deceiving, and appears to be several species all at once! It is quite plain with few distinguishing features which makes it even harder to be certain that it is what it is. It can be found in broad-leavved and coniferous woodland, on heaths and amongst short grass anywhere, often where there is birch nearby.
Usually appearing in small troops in summer through to winter. It may be edible, it may not, my books do not say, so I would leave well alone!
________________________________________________________________________
Find out more about the Deceiver in Dorset here: www.natureofdorset.co.uk/species_panel/Deceiver?vdt=speci...