If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

15 July, 2012

Common Puffball (Lycoperdon perlatum)

Perlatum; like a pearl. When young the Common Puffball is almost pure white and has a dappled appearance which, together with its shape, does recall a pearl so hence its name. It is the Common Puffball because it is, by far, the most frequently encountered member of the family. Found in summer and autumn, often in large groups, this species likes woodland where there are plenty of rotting branches and twigs. The fruiting body appears on the soil or leaflitter but there will likely be dead wood nearby where the fungus itself is at work. The common use of bark chippings as a mulch means that this is now quite a common species in gardens.

Edible when young but that is when they look their loveliest.
_______________________________________________________________________________
Find out more about the Common Puffball in Dorset here: www.natureofdorset.co.uk/species_panel/Common%20Puffball?...