If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

21 January, 2012

Lichen (Graphis scripta)

Until I happened to be looking for a lichen I had seen in my reference book and stumbled across something called Graphis scripta I had always assumed that the black marks you often see on Silver Birch bark were just blemishes in the bark itself! How wrong I was.

These black marks or, indeed, a lichen that is common on smooth barked trees but it shows up best against the pale coloured silver birch.

Common across the country, as well as Dorset, it has a close cousin, Graphis elegans, and they are very hard to tell apart but I believe this to be scripta but if you think I am wrong please let me know!

_______________________________________________________________
Find out more about the nature of Dorset at my website www.natureofdorset.co.uk