If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

14 June, 2011

Greater Butterfly Orchid (Platanthera chlorantha)

Finding an orchid is always a bit of a thrill! They are apart from other flowers, they have that certain something extra. People will go miles to see a rare orchid just as others will to see a rare bird.

One of the biggest orchids you will find in Dorset is this one, the Greater Butterfly Orchid. Orchids are often named after something they resemble (bee, spider, frog, wasp, etc) but I find it hard to see a resemblance with a butterfly here. That said, it is a lovely flower.

Not common, the Greater Butterfly Orchid can be found in woodlands and grassland where the soil is calcareous so north Dorset is probably the most likely area. They may not be common but, if you find one, you will probably find several.