If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

03 September, 2010

Great Green Bush Cricket (Tettigonia viridissima)

Here is real little beast with a nasty bite if you get your hands too close! None the less, a beautiful creature that is by far our largest Bush-cricket at over 2" long.

They are quite common here in Dorset on scrub and bramble especially on the coastal cliffs and along the Purbeck Ridge. I have seen them in various places from Dursleton and Swyre Head to Corfe Castle and Creech Hill.

Although large insects their green colouring makes them difficult to spot but if you have good hearing then you will be able to pick up their 'loud' sewing machine like stridulation. At my age I can't hear them but I do have a bat detector to help me find grasshoppers and crickets. This one is quite deafening through the detector and you can pick them 50 yards away.