If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

02 June, 2010

Heath Milkwort (Polygala serpyllifolia)

The dryer areas of the Dorset heaths are not well known for the array of flowers to be seen, heathers are the dominant species and there is little scope for much else.

However, between May and September this tiny little flower, the Heath Milkwort holds its own, especially along footpaths and areas where the heather is less well established.

Going purely by appearance, telling this from Common Milkwort and Chalk Milkwort is very However, Heath Milkwort loves acid soils, the other two prefer chalk, and so that narrows the choice down somewhat.

The Heath Milkwort is also a deeper blue, not so bright as its cousins.