If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

01 May, 2010

Early Thorn (Selenia dentaria)

There are probably two main reason why we do not see moths very often. The first is pretty obvious, moth are only active at night. However, the other reason is that whilst at rest during the day they are so well camouflaged.

The Early Thorn is a striking example of this. At rest it looks just like a dead leaf and predators would rarely find it as it sleeps the day away in the depth of shrubbery.

Despite its name it is found not only in April and May, it has a second brood in in August and September. It is widespread and generally common in Southern England but less so in te North where it usually just has one brood flying in May and June.

The larvae feed on a range of trees and shrubs including Hawthorn, Birch, Alder, Sallow and Blackthorn.