If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

14 May, 2010

Bugle (Ajuga reptans)


Bugle (Ajuga reptans)
Originally uploaded by Peter Orchard
This a common flower of damp woodlands and meadows at this time of year and is common across Dorset in such habitat.

One needs to be a bit careful as it looks, at first glance, a bit like Ground Ivy and it is, indeed, closely related. A more detailed look will quickly tell you it is not Ground Ivy, the plant being usually taller, the flowers larger and a darker blue and the stem being darkish in colour, almost a dark red.

Flowering for a short time in May, possibly in to June it can be seen now.

Why it is called Bugle I have no idea, perhaps it is those long 'trumpet like' flowers?