If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

29 May, 2010

Buff-tip (Phalera bucephala)

One can only wonder at how life on earth came to be as it is! Has this amazing looking moth become just like a Silver Birch twig through random gene mutation and natural selection (therefore almost by accident)? On the other hand, did the design team in charge of moth development decide that a moth that looked like a piece of twig would be a nice idea!

Who knows what is correct. There may even be a third reason we humans have yet to discover but for me that is the wonder of nature, so much if it is still a mystery and waiting to be discovered.

The Buff-tip is just emerging as an adult moth now and will be flying until mid July. It is more common in the south but does occur throughout the British isles.