If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

06 February, 2017

White Water-lily: padded up





I think I am right in saying that there are no native British species of white water-lilies (Nymphaea agg). Imported for water gardens in past times they have established themselves in ponds and lakes pretty much everywhere; indeed we have them in our garden pond. There are various species you may encounter, mainly of the family Nymphaea and rather then attempt to write abut all of them I have grouped themselves together which is where the agg. in the scientific name comes from - aggregated.
Although introduced there do seem to good for native wildlife. Hoverflies, dragonflies and damselflies like to bask on the leaves which are also popular with pond skaters who want to haul themselves off of the water surface for some personal grooming. Water snails are frequent on the undersides of the pads and frogs often hide by them whilst cooling off in the heat of the day. I am not sure the flowers are quite so beneficial as the leaves but they do add a touch of glamour!
I believe the species in my photograph is Nymphaea alba which is one of the most common.



White Water-lily: padded up