If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

04 February, 2017

Habrosyne pyritoides: the buff arches moth



Most moths tend to be fury or covered in find scales so it is unusual to find one with a smooth, polished finish! The china doll surface of this attractive moth is quite unique to the buff arches (Habrosyne pyritoides). 
A nocturnal species that flies from the Middle of June until the end of August, possibly in to September down here in Dorset where it is thought it can have two broods a year. The food plant of the larvae is bramble and as bramble is widespread and common so too is this moth. It favour open woody and scrub habitats and gardens near these habitats will often also be home to them. The larvae overwinter as a pupae, safe from cold weather.
Some people think moths are dull, boring creatures. If that is you then think again and take a look at this stunning little insect.
Habrosyne pyritoides: the buff arches moth