If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

06 December, 2016

Thyme-leaved Speedwell: what is the thyme



Thyme-leaved Speedwell (Veronica serpyllifolia) is a tiny flower which will often be overlooked as it somewhat insignificant amongst the other plants around it. It has preference for bare ground where there is little competition but it still struggles to get noticed. The flower is very small and the petal fall very quickly if the plant is touched.

Flowering from April through until October the flowers are a very pale blue, almost white, but are, on close inspection, typical of the speedwell family with four petals, the one at the bottom being narrower and more pointed than the others. The main feature are the leaves which are oval, dark green and shiny and do, indeed, recall those of the wild thyme.

It is common on bare ground, gravel, edges of car parks and such places as well as being a garden ' weed'. It can also grow in short grass including lawns.

Thyme-leaved Speedwell: what is the thyme