If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

22 November, 2016

Great Willowherb: codlins and cream



My field guide lists no less than fourteen members of the willowherb family and as you would expect from related species separating them can be a challenge. As always, though, one can whittle the choices down by looking to see which ones occur in the area you are in and in Dorset this means there are only seven to worry about! From here you have to look for identifying features to separate them although you can use habitat as a useful guide as well.
With this in mind the great willowherb (Epilobium hirsutum) is easy to pick out from the seven options. Firstly, the use of the prefix 'great' is a good indicator. Not only is it a strong, robust plant growing to nearly two metres tall it also produces 'great' flowers, much larger than other members of the family and that alone should be enough to settle it. Just to be certain, if it is in flower between July and September and is growing in damp conditions in ditches, by ponds or along river banks then it is almost certainly great willowherb.
This is also known as codlins and cream but it is hard to see why. Codlin is an old country name for apples (codlin moths are a pest of apples) so why would a completely purple flower resemble apples and cream?

Great Willowherb: codloins and cream