If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

26 October, 2016

Gymnadenia conopsea: making sense of it



It seems strange that, in general, our orchids do not have a scent, they are such splendid plants that you might expect perfume as well as looks. One orchid that defies this trend is the aptly named fragrant orchid (Gymnadenia conopsea) which does indeed produce a strong, sweet smell. This is helpful because being a purple spiked flower head like many other orchids in Britain it is an easy way to identify it from the other look-a-likes.
There are other differences between the fragrant orchids and its cousins. The flowers are a very pale pink not deep purple or mauve. It is quite a short, slim flower spike with the individual flowers in the spike less densely packed than in many other orchids. Add to this very narrow, pale green leaves that lack spots an then put them all together with the scent and you have it - a fragrant orchid.
This is very much a plant of chalk grassland and although there is a lot of chalk in Dorset I understand that this particular orchid is only found in three or four sites on iron age hill forts where the ground has been undisturbed for centuries. 
Gymnadenia conopsea: making sense of it