If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

30 October, 2016

English Stonecrop: star walls



The name English stonecrop (Sedum anglicum) says it all really, this is a species native to our shores that grows by clinging to rock surfaces by the sea. Its ability to grow on stone means that quite often you will see it on garden and house walls in seaside locations. It is our commonest stonecrop and it not only grows naturally in the wild but is a popular plant for garden rockeries and so it can 'crop' up almost anywhere.
Often forming quite large blankets of reddish stems topped with small white or pinkish star-shaped flowers they create a petty sight. They do not have leaves in the accepted sense, instead they look a little like a series of pale green buds linked together. I am not sure that is a good description but it is the best I can do.
In recent times sedum have become a popular insulation for roof tops where it is encouraged to grow across the roof surface thus forming a blanket to keep the heat inside the building. English stonecrop is at the forefront of this new 'technology'.
English Stonecrop: star walls