If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

21 September, 2016

Yellow Water-lily:the brandy glass



It is not unusual to find water-lilies in ponds and more often than not they are white ones which have 'escaped' into the wild. The yellow water-lily (Nuphar lutea) however is different and not just because it is yellow! It is a native species and I think I am right in saying it is our only native water-lily. Secondly, it seems to be more often seen in slow moving rivers rather than in ponds and all of my observations have been from the River Stour in Dorset. Then, the flower heads are on stalks rather than resting on the water surface; this reduces the resistance to the moving water and so protects the flower. The petals on white water-lilies tend to open out forming a star but on the yellow lily the curve upwards cupping the central stamens and style
The plant apparently has a faint smell of brandy and with the upturned petals making a cup shaped this flowers is nicknamed the brandy glass. 
Yellow Water-lily:the brandy glass