If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

04 September, 2016

Yellow Loosestrife: the King of Sicily



In researching this little piece about the yellow loosestrife (Lysimachia vulgaris) I discovered two things that surprised me! Firstly, because we have some in our garden I suppose, I thought that any specimens in the wild were garden escapes but that is not so; it seems to be a genuinely wild, native flower. Secondly, probably because it shares part of its name and occurs in similar habitats, I assumed it was related to the more frequently found purple loosestrife but again, I was wrong, they belong to different families.
Yellow loosestrife is a rather lovely flower with spikes of bold yellow flowers, little wonder it is grown in gardens. It is a tall plant growing to 1.5 metres high and it can stand proudly high above the other plants nearby and it can be seen from some distance.
Apparently Lysimachus was a Greek King of Sicily and loosestrife is a direct translation of that. How it comes to be name of a genus of flowers is another matter!
Yellow Loosestrife: the King of Sicily