If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

19 September, 2016

Common Comfrey: a Russian agent in disguise



The common comfrey (Symphytum officinale) is a bit of a teaser! Although the usual colour of the flower is a creamy white it also occurs with pink or blue flowers, indeed sometimes a combination of the two. That is where the problem lies as the other frequently found comfrey, Russian comfrey has blue or pink and blue flowers! It is easy, therefore to confuse the two.
As is often the case with similar plants there are various small differences which the expert can spot straight away but for us casual observers this it is far more difficult. There is, however, a pretty good ready guide, although not totally conclusive, in that common comfrey is nearly always found in damp conditions, especially by still, fresh water. Being a garden escape one tends to find Russian comfrey near houses or along roadsides where garden rubbish has been thrown out.
There are a further eight comfrey species in my reference book but they are unlikely to be found in Dorset and many are, in fact, garden escapes and similar to Russian comfrey so, again, unless you are an expert you probably would not know it was one of these even if you saw it!
Common Comfrey: a Russian agent in disguise