If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

27 September, 2016

Carex binervis: the green-ribbed sedge



This is a species where the name gives you the key to identification which is not always the case in nature. The green-ribbed sedge (Carex binervis) has dark green leaves whereas many sedges are pale green or glaucous grey and it has ribbed leaves where many sedges are smooth. 
Sedges are interesting as they tend to have a single male 'flower' at the top of the stem and then female flowers below coming alternately from the stem.The shape, arrangement and combination of these two sorts of flower also help to identify it although, even so, sedges can be tricky chaps in my view! In green-ribbed sedge the male flower is tall and slender, the female ones more compact and yet quite large. Both sexes are a purple-brown and they look 'over' even when newly produced.
Green-ribbed sedge can be found on acid soils and, unusually for sedges, they prefer dry ground and so can be found on dry heath and acid grassland where other sedges are less likely to be found.
Carex binervis: the green-ribbed sedge