If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

28 August, 2016

Greater Sea-spurrey: the star of the marsh



If you choose to rummage around on the vegetation of the salt marshes amongst the glasswort, sea purslane, sea-lavender and so on you may encounter this lovely little star-shaped flower, the greater sea-spurrey (Spergularia media). Although carrying the label 'greater' sea-spurrey it is a small flower, usually white but it can also be pale bluish/pink.
As well as a common flower of the coastal marshes, because it loves salty conditions it can also be found inland along the side of roads that are frequently salted in the winter months.
This species is also known as the greater sand-spurrey in some books which can be confusing. There is a lesser sea-spurrey which is less common but the flowers of that are always pink. Both greater and lesser are members of the campion or pink family.
Greater Sea-spurrey: the star of the marsh