If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

21 June, 2016

Common Birds-foot Trefoil: eggs and bacon



Common bird's-foot trefoil (Lotus corniculatus) must surely be one of our most familiar flowers as it can be found just about anywhere from the coastal cliffs to hedgerows, from woodland to grassland. Apart from very acid soils you can find it in almost habitat.
It is a member of the pea family with the classic 'vetch' shaped flower which can have orange or red on them during the early stages before becoming pure yellow. It is generally a low-growing, almost sprawling, plant.  It is a very popular plant with insects and is the food plant for several species of moth and butterfly. The common name 'bird's foot' comes from the shape of the seed heads that form once the flower has gone over. It looks just like the foot of a small bird.  
Sometimes called 'eggs and bacon' although I have no idea why as it does not look like an egg and there is no trace of any bacon. I have also known it to be called Tom Thumb and even granny's toe-nails! 
Common Birds-foot Trefoil: eggs and bacon