If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

03 June, 2016

Charanyca trigrammica: the treble lines

Sorry! Unable to display the photo of [title]

Giving moths English names is a fairly recent phenomenon compared to birds and flowers, many of which have had names for as long as human beings have been naming things, which is a mighty long time! As a result, the origin of moth names is not lost in distant history and quite often describes the moth itself. If you look at the moth in this photo I am sure you will agree that the most prominent feature is the three lines that run across the wings. What is it called? The treble lines moth (Charanyca trigrammica). 
The treble Lines is widespread and common over much of England and Wales inhabiting open woodlands, downland, commons, rough pasture and hedgerows. Flying from Mid May until early July it will be a frequent find in the moth trap for a few weeks in mid-summer.
The larvae, as you might expect from such a diverse species, can be found on a wide range of low, ground cover plants. It over winters as a larvae which is uncommon, most pupate to avoid the worst of winter.      
Charanyca trigrammica: the treble lines