If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

14 May, 2016

Oxyporus latemarginatus: the frothy porecrust fungus



Some fungi form lovely toadstools, others form amazing brackets, but some are just crusty and boring. Frothy porecrust (Oxyporus latemarginatus} is, as its name perhaps implies, crusty and boring! It is not much to look at forming large patches of grey, cushion-like lumps on the bark of rotting timber in dead oak and beech trees, often when they have fallen to the ground.
The crust is still the fruiting body of the fungus, of course, and the substance ouses from the tree and is soft or frothy at first but after the spores are spent they become hardened and stay on the trunk for some considerable time.
An autumn and winter species it is considered uncommon outside of the south-east of England but there is a suspicion that it is spreading and I have now seen on dead beech wood in more than one location in Dorset so I expect it is now quite widesppread here too.
Is it edible? Well, what do you think? I am not going to try it!
Oxyporus latemarginatus: the frothy porecrust fungus