If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

01 April, 2016

Antler Moth: what is the point





The antler moth (Cerapteryx graminis) is species that can be seen by day, especially in the (sometimes!) warm weather of August when it visits the flowers of thistles, ragwort and other members of the daisy family. It is also active by night as well and can be found by using a moth light trap or by pasting sugary substances on tree trunks!
The antler moth likes open country and where it occurs it can be common in mid-summer although it does appear to be declining in frequency and numbers in the south of England. The obsession with ragwort pulling and spraying thistles has undoubtedly taken its toll on this species but as we seem to be becoming a bit more relaxed about ragwort and thistles these days its numbers may well recover in time.
Sadly, my photograph does not really show the pointed and branched cream coloured markings on the wing from which its name is derived. 
Antler Moth: what is the point