If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

01 March, 2016

Black Currant: the Ribena plant





Anyone who goes berry picking at pick-your-own farms will be familiar with the black currant (Ribes nigrum) bush and most people will know the berry even if they do not know the plant, the berry being the source of Ribena (ribes = current) of course!
It is easy to forget that this plant does occur naturally in the wild and although the books say its common I have not encountered it that often but then it does have a preference for damp woodland which maybe I have not visited that often. There are occasional bushes elsewhere and these will have been spread by birds taking the berries.
The red currant is very similar, the black current has larger leaves that are aromatic.
Black Currant: the Ribena plant