If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

26 February, 2016

Callimorpha dominula: the scarlet tiger moth





This impressive moth, the scarlet tiger (Callimorpha dominula), is a species that flies freely by day and, when you find it, you will usually find it in large numbers. The pattern on the wings can, as in some other tiger moths, be quite variable.
The scarlet tiger is very much a moth of river banks, water meadows, marshy areas and sea cliffs. It is not found very often, it is a very local species and seems confined to south and western Britain. The lush vegetation along Dorset rivers such as the Frome and Stour are good places to find them. Single brooded, they fly on sunny days in June and July. They lay their eggs on waterside plants such as comfrey, meadowsweet, hemp-agrimony and so on as well as nettles and brambles.
Finding scarlet tigers is one of the thrills of wildlife watching!
Callimorpha dominula: the scarlet tiger moth