If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

05 January, 2016

Pale Persicaria: always read the label





The persicarias are members of the dock family and include common weeds such as redleg (or redshank as was) and water-pepper. Pale persicaria (Persicaria lapathifolia) is much like these two species but perhaps less common being a lover of rich soils. Indeed, this does not seem to be a common species in Dorset at all, probably because in the heathlands and on the calcareous soils the earth will not be rich enough for it. It also, apparently, is not a good competitor and so would struggle to survive against more dominant heathers and grasses that one would find in these common Dorset environments.
It is a much bushier plant and the flowers are paler cream or white, with just a tinge of pink, compared to the other two and the flowers often tend to droop over under their own weight when fully developed. It lacks the intense red stem that redleg has; a much paler plant in stem and flower hence, as its label implies, 'pale' persicaria.

Pale Persicaria: always read the label