If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

01 November, 2015

Yorkshire Fog: the iconic grass species

To my mind there is one grass species above all others that speaks for its kind; Yorkshire-fog (Holcus lanatus). As well as being one of our most widespread and common species it is the one that nearly everyone would recognise even if they could not name it. I am probably a bit odd but I think the emerging flower head of Yorkshire-fog is a thing of real beauty, a beauty that my poor photography cannot capture.
Found in grassy locations everywhere from meadows to roadside verges to waste ground to open woodland glades, Yorkshire-fog is, to use the favoured Springwatch phrase, the iconic grass species. When first emerging it produces thick, close-knit spikes of purple florets which then open out in to glorious triangular shaped heads with the florets on layers of branches each decreasing in length as you go up the stem with the newest at the top still yet to open, it is like a Christmas tree! The florets become creamy-white as they open.
It flowers from July until September and can form great swaths of colour gently swaying in the summer breeze, almost a white haze over a meadow and that is, 

read more: Yorkshire Fog: the iconic grass species