If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

28 November, 2015

Small Toadflax: the dwarf snapdragon

Small toadflax (Chaenorhinum minus) is not a flower one encounters on nature reserves very often as arable land, which is its stronghold, rarely features on reserves. I have only seen this in the fields near Ashley Wood that one crosses to get to the wood from Tarrant Rushton. In the fields here it is quite common and I suspect that it is common elsewhere in north Dorset where wild flowers are given a chance. This is often in the corner of fields where the sprays do not reach and sometimes on footpaths that run across fields where the crops are thin.
Small toadflax is an attractive little plant having classic small snapdragon flowers on a slender, hairy stalk. Several purple and yellow flowers occur alternately up the central stem. Several stems come from a central root to make a small bushy plant. It flowers from June until October.
This plant is also known

Read more: Small Toadflax: the dwarf snapdragon