If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

12 September, 2015

Ivy-leaved Speedwell: small and hairy | Nature Notes from Dorset

Many of the speedwell family of flowers seem to have a preference for disturbed or cultivated ground and ivy-leaved speedwell (Veronica hederifolia) is certainly one of them. Like so many weeds of cultivation it is a prostrate and sprawling plant that spreads over quite large areas when it gets the chance.
The flowers on this plant are quite small and insignificant and seem to readily fall off when touched. The leaves are vaguely similar to ivy leaves, as the name would imply, but I have to say that in my opinion the resemblance to ivy is not convincing! However, the leaves are a different shape to the other speedwell species which may help in identification.  The stems and leaves are very hairy too as my photograph seems to have captured.
Where it occurs

Read more: Ivy-leaved Speedwell: small and hairy | Nature Notes from Dorset