If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

05 September, 2015

Grey Field Speedwell: eyes of blue | Nature Notes from Dorset

Our most common speedwell (or bird's-eye) in fields and gardens is the aptly named common field speedwell but there is a close, similar sprawling member of the same family to be found on bare, cultivated ground and that is the grey field speedwell (Veronica polita). Although similar they are not the same, however, and of course there are differences which may go unnoticed at first until one is aware of the existence of them both and their variations.
The first and most obvious difference is the flower. The grey field speedwell has a perfectly blue flower with a white centre whereas its cousin has a white lower lip and is generally a much paler blue. The second difference, and it is where its name comes from, is that the leaves are a greyish green colour as opposed to the pale green of the common field speedwell. Both are prostrate plants

Read more: Grey Field Speedwell: eyes of blue | Nature Notes from Dorset