If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

02 September, 2015

Gadwall: calm and collected | Nature Notes from Dorset

The gadwall (Anas strepera) is a very handsome duck! A little larger than its relatives, it has this wonderful mottled appearance with a distinctive white patch in an area of black in the wing which can be seen from some distance. It does not have any other really distinctive features to set it apart from other ducks.
The gadwall is another duck that is more common in winter in Dorset. Unlike some duck species that are happy on sheltered water source the dawall is very much a fresh water bird. It is usually seen in the company of other ducks, especially mallard.
They strike me as being a very serene, calm bird.

Read more: Gadwall: calm and collected | Nature Notes from Dorset