If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

19 August, 2015

Marsh Fritillary: a bit of a devil around scabious | Nature Notes from Dorset

The beautifully marked marsh fritillary (Eurodryas aurinia) is a nationally scarce species found mainly in southern Britain and Dorset has a small number of sites where it can still be seen. Although the 'marsh' fritillary it is not generally found in marshes, well not in Dorset at least, but usually in rough, damp grassland where its larval food plant, devil's-bit scabious, can be found.
It is not a strong flyer and tends to stay together in small colonies which is one of the reasons for its decline, along with draining and improvement of grassland for agricultural purposes. It can be seen here from late April through until the end of May.

Read more: Marsh Fritillary: a bit of a devil around scabious | Nature Notes from Dorset