If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

25 August, 2015

Knotgrass: it is not grass | Nature Notes from Dorset

I try to find something interesting to say about everything I write about but with this plant, knotgrass (Polygonum aviculare), I am struggling! The first thing to say is that it is not, of course, a grass; it is a flowering plant. The flowers tend to be very small with the resulting seeds being more visible than the flowers. It has few distinguishing features being much like its relatives in the dock family.
Knotgrass is undoubtedly a weed of cultivation that can be found on bare earth and cultivated soils just about everywhere. It is variable in height sometimes growing to a metre tall but it is usually much, much shorter than that. There are six species of knotgrass in my field guide and this is by far the most common, most have suffered as the result of herbicide usage

Read more: Knotgrass: it is not grass | Nature Notes from Dorset