If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

24 August, 2015

Hoverfly: Eristalis arbustorum | Nature Notes from Dorset

There are a number hoverflies in the eristalis family, probably five common ones and as they all have much in common and yet each species can be quite variable within themselves they can be a bit difficult to indentify with confidence. In addition to the body colour patterns, which as I said can vary one needs to take in to account the time of year, the food plant and general habitat in coming to a conclusion.
Eristalis arbustorum is one of the smaller members of the family which is a start and then tends to have more orange on the throrax than the others. It is an abundant species in late summer loving the flowers of thistles, knapweeds and umbellifers.

Read more: Hoverfly: Eristalis arbustorum | Nature Notes from Dorset