If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

27 August, 2015

Dwarf Gorse: the eastern goorse | Nature Notes from Dorset

When walking on dry, sandy heathland in late summer you will see gorse growing close to the ground. It is easy to think that this is gorse that has been cut or burned regenerating but the truth is that it is a totally different species to the common gorse, it is dwarf gorse (Ulex minor).
Dwarf gorse is more closely related to western gorse than European gorse and is sometimes called eastern gorse because of the variation in regions in which they are found. In Dorset they overlap and are found together but although having similar pale yellow flowers and sharp, intense spines they should be identifiable purely on size, dwarf gorse growing no higher than a metre whereas western gorse rarely flowers until well over that height.

Read more: Dwarf Gorse: the eastern goorse | Nature Notes from Dorset