If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

18 August, 2015

Black Bindweed: the false bindweed | Nature Notes from Dorset

You may be familiar with field and hedge bindweed, both common climbing or spreading plants, but although carrying some of the same characteristics as these two in terms of leaf shape, stem colour and climbing nature black bindweed (Polygonum convolvulus) is not related. Black bindweed is more closely related to the dock family than to the convolvulus family. Closer inspection  of the flowers will prove this point!
Black bindweed is a fast growing, climbing or binding, plant that entwines itself clockwise around the stems of stronger plants; it can grow to over a metre long. It is a plant almost entirely of arable fields winding its way through crops damaging the plant(s) it is climbing on and making harvesting difficult. As a result black bindweed is not a popular weed!
Apparently, like so many of our weeds, this was once an edible crop 

Read more: Black Bindweed: the false bindweed | Nature Notes from Dorset