If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

25 July, 2015

Field Bindweed: our ladys wine glass | Nature Notes from Dorset

Field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) can be a little deceiving in that the flowers can be pure white, pure pink or a combination of the two! It can be told from the hedge bindweed and large bindweed primarily because it has a smaller flower and tends to be prostrate on the ground rather than entwined in hedges. Sea bindweed has flowers of similar size and colour but sea bindweed grows on dunes and shingle by the sea; field bindweed can occur near the sea too!
All the bindweeds are pretty vigorous weeds and they are somewhat despised which is a shame as they have lovely flowers but they really can be a problem and virtually impossible to eradicate if they get in to the wrong place. Field bindweed is fast growing and can choke most other vegetation growing near it. It also forms quite large mats which prevent even grass from growing beneath it!

Read more: Field Bindweed: our ladys wine glass | Nature Notes from Dorset