If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

29 July, 2015

Comma: punctuation marks | Nature Notes from Dorset

A comma (Polygonia c-album) butterfly in our garden always causes a bit of excitement. At first sight it is somewhat like a fritillary and to have a fritillary of any description in the garden would be immense! That said, the comma is such a lovely insect it is always welcome. It gets its name from the distinctive white comma shape on the underside of the wing.
Commas can actually be seen from January to December depending on the weather. They over winter by hibernating as adults and can emerge on any day in winter if the weather is encouraging. These insects that have hibernated lay eggs in April and May and these then form the first brood and laying eggs that hatch around July and August to provide the second brood. The second brood are the insects that will then hibernate until the following spring.
The food plant of the comma larvae is primarily the common, or stinging, nettle

Read more: Comma: punctuation marks | Nature Notes from Dorset