If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

04 July, 2015

Annual Mercury: the garden mercury | Nature Notes from Dorset

One of the things I enjoy most about writing my nature notes is the challenge of finding something interesting to say about every species I feature and I hope, in time, to feature every species of animal and plant I have found in Dorset. Today's flower, part of the "Weeds of Cultivation" series, has certainly been a challenge. There is really not much one can say about annual mercury (Mercurialis annua)!
It is a fairly nondescript flower to look at, it grows on nutrient rich soils in arable fields, gardens and waste ground in mid to late summer and is also known as garden mercury. Being a rather plain, unattractive plant it be can easily be easily overlooked. However, whilst common in south east England it does not appear to be so elsewhere in Britain

Read ore: Annual Mercury: the garden mercury | Nature Notes from Dorset