If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

04 June, 2015

Ling: a clean sweep | Nature Notes from Dorset

I used to think heather was just heather; it was not until I moved to Dorset that I discovered there are, in fact, four different species! Actually, when you take the trouble to look at them you can see the differences and identifying each is quite easy.
Whilst bell heather is common in the Purbeck area of Dorset, to the north and east of the Poole basin and across into the New Forest in Hampshire the more dominant species is ling (Calluna vulgaris). At first ling looks like bell heather just coming in to flower because the flowers themselves are not 'bells', they are more tubular and certainly less full than the other heathers. Once in full bloom ling is a delicate shade of mauve whereas the bell heather is a much deeper purple.

Read more: Ling: a clean sweep | Nature Notes from Dorset