If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

29 June, 2015

Hoverfly: Scaeva Pyrastri | Nature Notes from Dorset

This is a hoverfly species that I do not have to rush off and get my book to identify. Whilst many hoverflies are wasp mimics and are black and yellow Scaeva pyrastri is clearly black and white and is the only common hoverfly with these markings. In some references this is known as the pied hoverfly.
It is a relatively large and conspicuous hoverfly that in summer can be found on flowers almost anywhere, including gardens, on waste ground, meadows, hedgerows, woodland edges and rides. It is primarily a migrant species with insects arriving from Europe and in some years there seem to be many more than in others. In some years it can be quite common in July and August with lesser numbers during the rest of the summer and early autumn.

Read more: Hoverfly: Scaeva Pyrastri | Nature Notes from Dorset