If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

15 June, 2015

Hoverfly: Leucozona glaucia | Nature Notes from Dorset

It is a shame that this hoverfly left its leaf before I could get a good photograph of it! However, the photograph is good enough to show the glaucous colouring on the abdoment and thorax which makes it almost unmistakable; Leucozona glauca - named after its blue/grey or glaucous colouring. The female has this more of this distinctive colouring than the male.
In Dorset it is almost at the edge of its range being predominantly a western and northern species where it is very common. It is generally considered to be a woodland species thriving where umbell flowers can be found along woodland edges and rides.

Read More: Hoverfly: Leucozona glaucia | Nature Notes from Dorset