If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

19 June, 2015

Four-banded Longhorn Beetle: band stands | Nature Notes from Dorset

Insects lead two lives, one as a larva and another as an adult. The habitat in which they thrive is always (well, I think this is true) very different and it certainly is in longhorn beetles. They live their larval stage in dead wood eating their way through dead timbers and helping to break them down in to humus and so the beetles are rarely seen in this stage unless you go specifically looking for them. As adults they become pollen feeders and can be found on a variety of flowers, quite often umbellifers, and so are far more visible.
The attractive four-banded longhorn (Leptura quadrifasciata) is quoted as being relatively common but the adult beetle lives for only a short time and so they are seen far less often than their numerical status would suggest they should.

Read more: Four-banded Longhorn Beetle: band stands | Nature Notes from Dorset