If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

11 June, 2015

Cross Leaved Heath: spot the difference | Nature Notes from Dorset

All Dorset heather may look the same at first but after a while you will notice that some of the heather is much paler in colour, a true pink, rather than the deep purple of the familiar bell heather. On closer examination you will find that the pink heather only has a few 'bells' clustered around the top of each stem. This is because it is cross leaved heath (Erica tetralix) rather than bell heather. When not in flower the arrangement of the leaves can be used to distinguish between this species and the other common heathers. 
While bell heather likes the dry areas, cross leaved heath likes damper, almost boggy, acid soils of the heaths.

Read more: Cross Leaved Heath: spot the difference | Nature Notes from Dorset