If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

17 June, 2015

Chalkhill Blue: my number one | Nature Notes from Dorset

Sadly the chalkhill blue (Lysandra coridon) has declined significantly in recent years as its preferred habitat of sunny chalk and limestone hillsides have been lost to agriculture. Where it does occur, however, it can be plentiful during the month of August.
The males are seen more often than the females and are likely to be found feeding in small groups on purple flowers such as knapweed and thistles. The males are unmistakable being quite large and a silvery-blue colouring with black markings. The females are much more secretive and are brown with a few orange dots along the edges of the wings.
The chalkhill blue is very much a species of southern England 

Read more: Chalkhill Blue: my number one | Nature Notes from Dorset