If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

05 June, 2015

Brown Chafer: the grass roots beetle | Nature Notes from Dorset

Most of the chafer family of beetles are nocturnal and not often seen but occasionally you can be lucky and find one at rest during the day. I was fortunate to find this brown chafer (Serica brunnea) passing some time on a leaf in broad daylight in a deciduous woodland. It is a small beetle, oval in shape with very ribbed wing cases (elytra) which are brown in colour; hence the common name, the brown chafer. It is quite smooth lacking the hairs that some chafers have and it has a black head which helps distinguish it from the similar summer chafer.
The brown chafer flies as an adult from June until August but, as with many insects, much of its life is spent as a larvae.

Read more: Brown Chafer: the grass roots beetle | Nature Notes from Dorset