If you would like to read my Dorset nature notes about any of these featured species or sites please click on the post title

About Me

My photo

I have been interested in nature for most of my life but since I retired I spend as much time as I can exploring the nature reserves and wildlife hotspots of my adopted home, Dorset in southern England. Whilst out I record what I see and take snaps where I can (I am no photographer!) and that forms the basis of my Nature of Dorset website. When I find something new I like to research it and write about it in my nature notes, it is how I learn and hopefully you might find my notes helpful as well!

This website is for the people of Dorset interested in wildlife and for people from elsewhere interested in the wildlife of Dorset!

05 May, 2015

Slender St Johns-wort: the honourable hypericum | Nature Notes from Dorset

There are a number of hypericum, probably ten in all, that one is likely to encounter in the wild and they all have a fairly similar yellow flower and pointed leaves. The key to identifying them in my experience is to look for the feature that makes each unique. In this case, the slender St John's-wort (Hypericum pulchrum), for me it has to be the red undersides of the flowers that have yet to open. When the plant is in flower it will usually have at least one still to open and displaying this distinctive feature. There are other features that make it unique of course but often in nature watching it can be a single thing you notice at once that is diagnostic. 

Read more: Slender St Johns-wort: the honourable hypericum | Nature Notes from Dorset